Cletex Moves to New Terminal
Nov 1, 1998 12:00 PM
Cletex Inc, Montgomery Tank Lines' first affiliate and one of its largest, moved into a new headquarters terminal earlier this year. The 27-acre facility is at 1910 Sheldon Road in Channelview, Texas, a suburb of Houston.
The terminal is landscaped and enclosed by a wrought iron fence. "We wanted to build a scenic facility," says Buddy Wood, Cletex president. "We want this to look like more than just another tank truck terminal. We even have a fishing pond here."
A number of buildings make up the terminal, and all are wired with fiber optic cable for high-speed data communications. Three main buildings with a total area of 8,500 square feet contain the administrative offices, Montgomery Tank Lines regional offices, dispatch center, and training classrooms.
A 15,000-sq-ft building is designated as a make-ready center, where vehicles are inspected before leaving on a trip. Eight tractor-trailer rigs at a time can be checked in the four 150-foot-long bays. A catwalk runs the full length of the building between the bays. Minor repairs, such as brake adjustments, are performed by the mechanics assigned to the center.
Trailer maintenance is handled in a 22-bay shop that employs 23 mechanics. Total space in the shop is 30,000 square feet. The shop holds a National Board "R" stamp and performs all code tank repairs, tests, and inspections.
Ample parking space is available at the terminal and is paved with asphalt. There is room for about 250 tank trailers. Up to 40 can be parked on concrete pads in one section.
© 2013 Penton Media Inc.